Tags: access, adding, column, couonter, database, delimited, example, file, import, importing, microsoft, mysql, oracle, order, sql, txt, wrong

wrong column order after import txt file to Access 2007

2,015 words with 8 Comments; publish: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:18:00 GMT; (25062.50, « »)

After importing a txt delimited file into Access 2007 with adding Couonter

there is a problem with column order. For example in txt file:

John|Doe|25.10.2007

in new Access table are 4 columns:

Doe|John|1|25.10.2007

I need the same column order!

("1" is a Counter and I also need it in the first column not next to the last)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

• Hi, haniss.

Column order is an issue of table/query layout, you don't need to do anything with import itself. If you want different column order, then just drag-n-drop column to an appropriate position and save table/query layout.

Good luck.

#1; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:19:00 GMT
    • Column order is very important for me, because after some operations with

data in access, I export data back to txt file and I need the same column

order for the other software. Yes, I can do it via query, but I have 125 and

more columns...

Before Access 2007 I used Access 2000. There was everything O.K.

H.

#2; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:20:00 GMT
    • Please, post how do you perform the import.
      #3; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:21:00 GMT
    • I import txt files simply by the wizard in MS Access 2007.

H.

#4; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:22:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

I import txt files simply by the wizard in MS Access 2007.

H.

Do you add records to an existing table or make new?

#5; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:24:00 GMT
    • I make new table. H.
      #6; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:24:00 GMT
    • Hi, haniss.

I have Access 2003, so details may differ.

When import text file click button [Advanced...]. It will open dialog where you can change fields' order (as well as many other things). Save the import specification ([Save as ...]). Now you'll be able to import files with the saved specification choosing it from the same dialog window ([Specs...]).

#7; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:26:00 GMT
    • I discovered, that this problem occur only if I add counter. If I import txt file without adding counter, everything is O.K. I can add counter to the new table after importing. H.
      #8; Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:27:00 GMT