Tags: access, allready, cities, city, countries, country, curious, database, exists, hasdata, installed, knowing, microsoft, mysql, oracle, sql, state, states, table

country/state/city data table

On Database » Microsoft Access

4,656 words with 7 Comments; publish: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:45:00 GMT; (25078.13, « »)

Hi,

Im curious in knowing if a table already exists somewhere out there that has

data of all countries, states and cities allready installed into it, or is it

one of those things that people dont like to share?

Colin

All Comments

Leave a comment...

  • 7 Comments
    • Colin Richards wrote:

      > Hi,

      > Im curious in knowing if a table already exists somewhere out there

      > that has data of all countries, states and cities allready installed

      > into it, or is it one of those things that people dont like to share?

      > Colin

      To what end? Do you want to use it to look up zip codes? Do you want

      to find a state based on the city? Use it as part of a drop down pick list?

      Joseph Meehan

      Dia duit

      #1; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:46:00 GMT
    • Thanks for your reply Joseph,

      Its for an address book arrangment, locating zip codes, locating cities and

      states based on country.. Im sure there are better options than me starting

      from scratch

      Colin

      "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

      > Colin Richards wrote:

      > To what end? Do you want to use it to look up zip codes? Do you want

      > to find a state based on the city? Use it as part of a drop down pick list?

      > --

      > Joseph Meehan

      > Dia duit

      >

      >

      #2; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:47:00 GMT
    • Colin Richards wrote:

      > Hi,

      > Im curious in knowing if a table already exists somewhere out there that has

      > data of all countries, states and cities allready installed into it, or is it

      > one of those things that people dont like to share?

      > Colin

      If you want the Australian data, you can download it from

      www.australiapost.com.au

      I suppose other national postal authorities would have similar?

      Hope this helps.

      #3; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:48:00 GMT
    • cool, thats a good start and i will look into that option, im ideally seeking

      information for world wide.

      "SmilingPolitely" wrote:

      > Colin Richards wrote:

      > If you want the Australian data, you can download it from

      > www.australiapost.com.au

      > I suppose other national postal authorities would have similar?

      > Hope this helps.

      >

      #4; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:49:00 GMT
    • On Sun, 8 May 2005 05:45:09 -0700, "Colin Richards"

      <ColinRichards.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

      >cool, thats a good start and i will look into that option, im ideally seeking

      >information for world wide.

      There are some 6.4 billion people living in the world. There are

      probably several tens of millions of inhabited places. Will your name

      and address database really need to know the postcodes of isolated

      towns in South India and post offices in western Siberia?

      John W. Vinson[MVP]

      #5; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:50:00 GMT
    • Colin Richards wrote:

      > Thanks for your reply Joseph,

      > Its for an address book arrangment, locating zip codes, locating

      > cities and states based on country.. Im sure there are better options

      > than me starting from scratch

      > Colin

      >

      I am not sure you are going to be happy with the results if you want

      high accuracy. Cities straddle state lines and county lines. One city may

      have many zip codes and one zip code may server more than one city. zip code

      formats from one country to another are often far different or non-existent.

      I worked many years for a US State tax department. Identifying cities,

      taxing districts etc. was a large part of my job. After speaking to the

      people at the US Post office I gave up on any idea of using there data and

      zip codes. I might add that some have even changed.

      Joseph Meehan

      Dia duit

      #6; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:51:00 GMT
    • If possible John, yes..

      i work for a company that deals with world wide clients and it would be nice

      to have all their data, but i guess from a reasonable point of view i dont

      really need the third world countries as they would be least interested in

      our product.

      Colin

      "John Vinson" wrote:

      > On Sun, 8 May 2005 05:45:09 -0700, "Colin Richards"

      > <ColinRichards.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

      >

      > There are some 6.4 billion people living in the world. There are

      > probably several tens of millions of inhabited places. Will your name

      > and address database really need to know the postcodes of isolated

      > towns in South India and post offices in western Siberia?

      >

      > John W. Vinson[MVP]

      >

      #7; Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:52:00 GMT