Tags: access, database, detail, form, grid, laser, lines, microsoft, moving, mysql, oracle, pre-printed, print, printforms, printing, report, section, sql

Grid lines in a report

On Database » Microsoft Access

10,469 words with 8 Comments; publish: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:54:00 GMT; (250109.38, « »)

I have a problem with a report I am printing. We are moving to laser print

forms (we used to print data on a pre-printed form).

The detail section is a fixed length with lines across. In this detail

section I have 2 subreports. One on the left side of the detail area and one

on the right side of the detail area. I put lines on the main report detail

area that run across the entire width of the report in the report. However,

the lines are hidden by the subreports! And, if I put lines in the

subreports, if there are only 2 items of data (when there are up to 4 to be

printed) only 2 of the lines show. Also - there is a space inbetween the 2

sub-reports so the lines don't go across.

Any ideas or directions I could go to?

Thanks SOOOOOOO much for ANY INFORMATION or advice!!!

Janis in Minne-SNOW-ta

All Comments

Leave a comment...

  • 8 Comments
    • A line control can be brought to the front to display in front of the

      subreports. You can also use the line method to draw lines over your

      subreports. Assuming you have a line control on your report that is

      invisible, you can draw on top of it (and your subreports).

      Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer)

      Me.Line (Me.InvisibleLine.Left, _

      Me.InvisibleLine.Top)-Step _

      (Me.InvisibleLine.Width, 0)

      End Sub

      Duane Hookom

      MS Access MVP

      "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      message news:53B1291F-81CE-492F-95BE-214B1F0CC28C.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      >I have a problem with a report I am printing. We are moving to laser

      >print

      > forms (we used to print data on a pre-printed form).

      > The detail section is a fixed length with lines across. In this detail

      > section I have 2 subreports. One on the left side of the detail area and

      > one

      > on the right side of the detail area. I put lines on the main report

      > detail

      > area that run across the entire width of the report in the report.

      > However,

      > the lines are hidden by the subreports! And, if I put lines in the

      > subreports, if there are only 2 items of data (when there are up to 4 to

      > be

      > printed) only 2 of the lines show. Also - there is a space inbetween the

      > 2

      > sub-reports so the lines don't go across.

      > Any ideas or directions I could go to?

      >

      > Thanks SOOOOOOO much for ANY INFORMATION or advice!!!

      > Janis in Minne-SNOW-ta

      #1; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:55:00 GMT
    • I'm not quite sure how to understand what the code is doing. I formatted

      the lines I drew as 'bring to front' and this works for page 1. Any other

      pages it does not work and I'm unsure why?

      Any more advice? I'm sure I'm missing your point. Sorry!!!!

      Janis

      "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      > A line control can be brought to the front to display in front of the

      > subreports. You can also use the line method to draw lines over your

      > subreports. Assuming you have a line control on your report that is

      > invisible, you can draw on top of it (and your subreports).

      > Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer)

      > Me.Line (Me.InvisibleLine.Left, _

      > Me.InvisibleLine.Top)-Step _

      > (Me.InvisibleLine.Width, 0)

      > End Sub

      > --

      > Duane Hookom

      > MS Access MVP

      > --

      > "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      > message news:53B1291F-81CE-492F-95BE-214B1F0CC28C.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      >

      >

      #2; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:56:00 GMT
    • I wasn't aware that your subreports might have continue to a second page.

      Can you provide more information about your report/subreport and desired

      grid?

      Duane Hookom

      MS Access MVP

      "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      message news:02BF017A-216F-45FF-9395-83892CCB0349.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]

      > I'm not quite sure how to understand what the code is doing. I formatted

      > the lines I drew as 'bring to front' and this works for page 1. Any

      > other

      > pages it does not work and I'm unsure why?

      > Any more advice? I'm sure I'm missing your point. Sorry!!!!

      > Janis

      > "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      #3; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:57:00 GMT
    • First of all I want to tell you how much I appreciate your help!!!! Thank

      you VERY MUCH!!!

      I have a report that has 2 different kinds of detail information. And,

      either one can have mulitple pages, from zero records to numerous. I need to

      have 4 lines in the detail no matter how many records are returned in the sub

      report.

      I tried putting 4 lines in the fixed length detail section and then bringing

      them to 'front'. It seems to work on all first pages, but not the rest. If

      I put lines within the detail report of course the lines only print if there

      is a record. And, if there is a record, there is no line between the 2

      subreports in the detail section.

      I guess to sum it up, I need to print a static report form that prints

      horizontal lines in the detail section all of the time no matter if there is

      information or not.

      Does this help? I wonder if I need to create a temp table to store the data

      up front or something similiar to this?

      Again, thank you very much for any advice/solutions!!!!

      Janis

      "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      > I wasn't aware that your subreports might have continue to a second page.

      > Can you provide more information about your report/subreport and desired

      > grid?

      > --

      > Duane Hookom

      > MS Access MVP

      > --

      > "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      > message news:02BF017A-216F-45FF-9395-83892CCB0349.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      >

      >

      #4; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:58:00 GMT
    • Have you tried placing code in the On Page event of the main report to draw

      the lines?

      Duane Hookom

      MS Access MVP

      "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      message news:3649988C-C4BA-434F-B2FB-7D38B37AB9F2.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]

      > First of all I want to tell you how much I appreciate your help!!!! Thank

      > you VERY MUCH!!!

      > I have a report that has 2 different kinds of detail information. And,

      > either one can have mulitple pages, from zero records to numerous. I need

      > to

      > have 4 lines in the detail no matter how many records are returned in the

      > sub

      > report.

      > I tried putting 4 lines in the fixed length detail section and then

      > bringing

      > them to 'front'. It seems to work on all first pages, but not the rest.

      > If

      > I put lines within the detail report of course the lines only print if

      > there

      > is a record. And, if there is a record, there is no line between the 2

      > subreports in the detail section.

      > I guess to sum it up, I need to print a static report form that prints

      > horizontal lines in the detail section all of the time no matter if there

      > is

      > information or not.

      > Does this help? I wonder if I need to create a temp table to store the

      > data

      > up front or something similiar to this?

      > Again, thank you very much for any advice/solutions!!!!

      > Janis

      > "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      #5; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:59:00 GMT
    • I'm wondering if I should just write a function to grab all the detail line

      information I need and put together in one table, and link that to my main

      report. Maybe I should tackle it from this viewpoint? But my problem is

      still that I need 4 lines in the detail section no matter if there is data

      there or not.

      I have not tried placing code in the On Page event of the main report to

      draw the lines. I am unsure how to do this. I know how to create vertical

      lines, but not horizontal.

      Is this the code you sent earlier?

      Janis

      "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      > Have you tried placing code in the On Page event of the main report to draw

      > the lines?

      > --

      > Duane Hookom

      > MS Access MVP

      > --

      > "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      > message news:3649988C-C4BA-434F-B2FB-7D38B37AB9F2.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      >

      >

      #6; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:00:00 GMT
    • The code I sent earlier is an example of how to draw lines on your report

      without using a control.

      Duane Hookom

      MS Access MVP

      "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      message news:C73A9F74-B351-4714-9EBD-8BB36A2AB322.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]

      > I'm wondering if I should just write a function to grab all the detail

      > line

      > information I need and put together in one table, and link that to my main

      > report. Maybe I should tackle it from this viewpoint? But my problem is

      > still that I need 4 lines in the detail section no matter if there is data

      > there or not.

      > I have not tried placing code in the On Page event of the main report to

      > draw the lines. I am unsure how to do this. I know how to create

      > vertical

      > lines, but not horizontal.

      > Is this the code you sent earlier?

      > Janis

      > "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      #7; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:01:00 GMT
    • Ok thanks - I'll see if I can figure out how to use it. Thanks!

      Janis

      "Duane Hookom" wrote:

      > The code I sent earlier is an example of how to draw lines on your report

      > without using a control.

      > --

      > Duane Hookom

      > MS Access MVP

      > --

      > "Janis in Minnesota" <JanisinMinnesota.ms-access.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

      > message news:C73A9F74-B351-4714-9EBD-8BB36A2AB322.ms-access.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

      >

      >

      #8; Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:02:00 GMT